Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Disability and Second Life

I have just begun the task of contacting individuals who may be able to help me with my thesis project and documentary on the use of Second Life and 3-D virtual worlds by people with disabilities. Ironically, I am dealing with my own issue -an inner ear infection (labyrinthitis) which has recurred and is causing me vertigo every time I stand up, walk or move.

I would like to explore why individuals are drawn to virtual worlds and how these worlds help persons with both hidden and overt disabilities. How do virtual worlds aid in the process of communication, socialization, education and other goals or activities in life? Do disabled persons use virtual worlds as tools of freedom -in being, existing, communicating, socializing and so forth without the baggage of real life encounters?

What are the implications of 3-D virtual worlds in terms of future use and the better integration of the disabled community into society? Are people with disabilities still on the margins of society? Why are they not represented better in the media? What are some of the stigmas associated with being disabled and how are these stigmas challenged in virtual reality worlds? Some questions I will be researching this semester.

No comments: